|Homemade 'Hamburger Helper'|
You will need:
- a frying pan to fry up the hamburger, a small sauce pot for making the cheese sauce, and medium pot for boiling pasta
- 1 lb. of extra lean ground beef
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 box of whole grain rotini pasta noodles
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch / or 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups of skim milk
- 2 cups shredded light (40% less fat) marble cheese
- 1/2 cup light Cheese Whiz
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- cracked pepper
Here's what to do:
Boil the pasta until it's done and rinsed as directed on the box. Use any kind of noodle you prefer.
Fry up the hamburger with the minced up clove of garlic. Drain the fat. Set aside.
To make the sauce, over low heat melt the margarine then add the corn starch and whisk. Once combined, add the milk and whisk until it has been incorporated then add in all the other ingredients until you have a nice cheese sauce. If you find it is too thick, just add more milk and whisk over low heat. I use this same sauce for my homemade mac and cheese as well!
Combine noodles, hamburger, and cheese sauce into the medium pot and serve!
|Healthy version of 'Hamburger Helper' the whole family will love!|