Background

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Spoiling the Family

I really enjoy entertaining and putting on some great food with great company. I also think a great way to give back to family is cooking up a nice meal but it's really the least I could do for my family.

We started our meal with a Creamy Pumpkin Soup http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32396/Creamy-Pumpkin-Soup/detail.aspx which I tweaked just a little. I found it to be a little bland tasting so I kicked it up a notch with some Italian seasonings, dried red chili peppers and a little chili powder for a bit of heat but not too much. Omitted the onion but used onion powder. It's the kind of soup that you just have to keep taste testing until you got it where you want it. It did taste awesome and I'm glad to have tried it out because it was a huge hit and perfect way to start off the meal. There was also a side dish of pita bread and tzatiki sauce.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup

I picked up some souvlaki  marinated thick pork chops at Costco and paired it up with garlic mashed potatoes (used red potatoes and left the skins on), green beans (boiled for 5 mins. then tossed in cold water then added to the wok) which were stir fried with shredded carrots and button mushrooms.











Souvlaki Pork with garlic mashed potatoes 















For dessert I had made brownies with chocolate icing http://www.hersheycanada.com/en/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=6820&page=1&per=25&classics=1#content_area earlier in the day and it was the best way to end a great meal. Doing big meals like this may seem like a hassle with having little ones around but it really can be easy as long as you have everything planned out ahead of time. I love spoiling my family and it's a great way to give back and say "thank you"!
Brownies

No comments: