Background

Thursday, June 2, 2011

One Bowl Chocolate Cake


Yes, guilty as charged! I enjoyed some chocolate cake for my breakfast with a coffee this morning. It was just as moist and delicious from when I made it yesterday for our supper's dessert. This is a great chocolate cake recipe that you can make adjustments to in order to give it a 'healthful' twist. I enjoyed reading all the reviews on it and after making it I agree that I will probably not buy another box chocolate cake mix again because it is that good and really easy to make. I plan on making more adjustments to this recipe in the future, but for the first go I replaced the oil with 1/2 cup of applesauce, used skim milk, and 3/4 of the flour was whole wheat. As far as the 2 cups of sugar go, you could use Splenda or brown sugar to substitute and I'm sure it will turn out fine. I made mine in a 9" x 13" pan but can't wait to try it in something else the next time! Top it off with your favorite icing.


One Bowl Chocolate Cake Recipe

Ingredients

  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two nine inch round pans.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
  3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Super yummy, and easy chocolate cake, that would be appreciated by all:DDD