Background

Friday, April 1, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie w/ biscuits on top


This recipe is super easy, inexpensive, quick, and a real crowd pleaser! I'm all about quick and easy so trust me when I say that it is. Everyone does their own chicken pie filling differently but here is how I made my own. First, I took an already cooked up roasted chicken and removed all the meat and put it in the fridge until needed. I took a couple of carrots, shaved them, then cut them up and added them to some boiling water and cooked them until soft. Just before they were done I added some frozen peas and corn. In a sauce pan, I opened up two cans of (half the fat) cream of chicken soup with about a cup of milk and whisked it up over medium heat. As for seasonings, I added some onion powder, oregano, thyme, parsley, pepper, and poultry seasoning to the mix. After the sauce has thickened up, in went the veggies and cubed up chicken. I added the mixture to a 9" x 13" glass baking dish. For the biscuit topping, I used two packages of Pillsbury Country Biscuits. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees (or 350 works as well since my oven gets super hot) for about 15 minutes. Out pops this wonderful casserole that tastes and looks great!



I give credit to my sister for introducing me to this recipe which we enjoyed at her house a couple weeks back. The one thing I didn't do which she said to do is cut up the biscuits into four pieces before adding to the top so that the biscuits cook evenly. I did find that some of the biscuits in the middle were a bit gooey so best to take the advice which I will for next time.


For dessert, we enjoyed a banana cream pie! This was a request from my hubby and was also my first time making one but I think it turned out pretty good and was easy to do as well. I used a Pillsbury pie crust then cooked it as directed. From there made the banana cream filling which is just Jello's Banana Cream pie filling. I did one layer of sliced up bananas after the crust was cooked and cooled then added the pie filling and put it in the fridge overnight. Added some whip cream and toasted coconut for garnish!

1 comment:

soMEr said...

I love the chicken pop pie. It looks incredible. Def one of my ultime fav's although I've never tried it with the biscuts-I will next time for sure! The pie looks great too :)